By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The top five best casual games

The objective of this thread is to define: what is a good casual game?

This is my attempt of a definition;

Good casual game: A pick and play game atractive to people who are not used to videogames: casual players. This games are ideal to be played socially, taking turns, eating snacks and having drinks.

Since all the debate between hardcore and casuals may have started with the rise of the Nintendo Wii, is natural that most of the games come from that console. Some funny guy will post what is a good casual game? Any Wii game. It's undeniable that the Wiimote has played a crucial rol in it, because most people unfamiliar with videogames are scared of the tradicional controls.

But I am sure they are or will be some casual games in actual or future microsoft and Sony machines. My problem is that I don't own a 360 or a ps3 yet, so don't know enough about their games. But if you think there are ps360 casual games, please mention them.

Now this is my top 5

1 Wii sports. This is the ultimate casual game. It's the game that defined the console. People of all ages and genders, from 4 years old to 100 years old and more can pick it up and play it. You dont even have to push any bottoms. Ideal for parties with granparents, pears and kids. And the fun begins when you design a Mii for everyone. In that way no casual will ask "which one is me?".

2 Wii play. If you are going to throw some Wii parties you may need and extra Wii remote. So what's better than getting the one that comes with that game. This game will help the casuals to master the "art" of aim and shoot.

3 Big Brain Academy Wii degree. Now those casuals can get too damm competitive in no time. Aiming and some logic are the only skills required to find out who is has the biggest brain.

4 Wii fit. This is the ultimate anti-videogame. "Look mom, no hands!". If you can handle the complexity of the wii remote but you can stand up, this is it. Wii fit. The videogame that is good for you. Fun to play, and fun to watch be played.

5 Guitar Hero III. Casuals can't get enough of those toys. And this is my only non-Wii exclusive casual game. I know that harcore gamers like to think they dont play any of that casual crap, but let's face it, this plastic guitar games had most of the characteristics of good casual games. They don't require the traditional videogames skills, they are not played with those controls full of bottoms, they can be somewhat easy and they are pick and play games. You just need to enjoy the music and that's it: you are hooked. The only thing is  that they are not very social or fun to watch. That's why they are now updating to GH World Tour.

Anyway, the top 5 is subject to controversy. But what I would really like to know is what is a good casual game and, according to that, your top five.

Around the Network

PES , the only game I can get my non gamers friends to play :(

I agree with your list. How about Buzz for the ps2?

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

Raving Rabid Raymans
GH
Wii sports
Madden
Tiger Woods

In no order

According to your description

1.- Wii Sports
2.- Super Smash Bros Brawl
3.- Mario Kart Wii
4.- Mario Party 8
5.- Wario Ware: Smooth Moves

Around the Network

From my experience, it's been fun for casual players to play the following:

1) Wii Sports
2) Guitar Hero
3) Rock Band
4) Wii Fit
5) Carnival Games

Wii Music has to be in the top 5

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

Call of Duty 4

Mario Kart

Wii Sports

Peggle

FIFA/PES

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

For me are:
1. Wario Ware Smoth Moves 2. Wii Sports 3. Wii Fit 4. Wii Music 5. Wii Play

MY ZELDA COLLECTION

The funniest thing about "casual games" is that no matter how someone tries to define them, Ikaruga ALWAYS meets the qualifications. That should be enough reason to know there's no such thing.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.