By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA focus on PS3 as lead platform for game development

it wont let me paste it

http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/08/04/ea-focus-on-ps3-as-lead-platform-for-game-development/

youtr gonna have to click on the link

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Um...
It says code corrupted...

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

cool, i know theres a PS3 exclusive mode in FIFA 08 anounced, i assume theres more to come

Excellent. No more crappy ports

^click on the link

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

heard somewhere that they did made the most money from the Ps3...

August 4, 2008 |
EA focus on PS3 as lead platform for game development
By Mike Ferro

EA focus on PS3 as lead platform for game development Everyone knows it’s harder to develop on the PS3 than the Xbox 360. It’s so much more difficult to port a game from the Xbox 360 over to the PS3. EA has commented before they would switch development to the PS3 and make it the lead platform; it seems EA is making good on its promise.

It seems like porting from the PS3 to the Xbox 360 is a much smoother transition than the other way around. According to Sony VP of product marketing, Scott Steinberg even goes further, and says making the PS3 lead platform will make the Xbox 360 games look “even better.”

hmmm.. you know I don’t know about that. Just by looking at Burnout Paradise I really can’t say the Xbox 360 port looks any better than what it would have looked if it was developed ground up for the Xbox 360. However honestly I really couldn’t tell you what it would have looked like if it wasn’t a port; basically it’s all marketing spin.

The only real party it would benefit would be the developers and maybe Sony but the consumers probably won’t benefit this except possibly a prevention of a la GTA IV style delay due to the PS3 development issues.

EA have commented in the past on their desire to put the PS3 as lead platform and judging by their new titles it seems like the plan is set in motion. It has recently been revealed via OPM that Mirror’s Edge is currently developed on the PS3 as the lead platform. Dead Space is another title that have been revealed to use the PS3 as lead platform as well.

I’m starting to wonder if Sony designed such a convoluted architecture for the PS3 so this could happen. Basically force the developers to use the PS3 as the lead platform for all games, ah that’s the conspiracy theorist in me talking.

There is rumor that Madden NFL ‘09 is suppose to be developed on the PS3 as lead platform. It’s rumor for now but we will soon know in a couple weeks.

good news for ps3 owners

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

Awesome. It's good to know that if I were to buy Mirror's Edge or Dead Space, that it wouldn't be a crappy port, if it sucks, it's cuz the game sucks, not the development.

Just as Sony was saying a little while ago..
Benifits all.

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

"Our animation technology was designed for both PS3 and 360. We honestly don't favor one platform over the other at all (in fact we are contantly told we can't do that), PS3 is just harder to write code for due to multi-processor stuff so it took us longer to catch up, and the 50/50 RAM split. I would say we put more effort into the PS3 because it's a more complicated architecture, but we have devoted a lot of R&D to allow us to work on both platforms seamlessly, and that stuff is really finally coming together this cycle.

I actually posted a thread on this weeks back. Obviously with RAM constraints we can't have an unlimited replay buffer, and it does really annoy the animators that the longer the replay the more robotic the motion (this is because we HAVE to start dropping frames of animation at some point, since our replay shows the whole play snap to whistle, no matter how long it lasts).

We could take the 2K approach and only show you the last 8 seconds of the play, that would allow us to keep full rez replay, but in the thread I started a couple months ago it seemed very split weather it was more important to see the entire play no matter how long, VS. wanting to see the animation uncompressed in replay...

but anyway, the RAM constraints are the reason the replay look worse than the game. Hope that helps people understand the decision to allow animation to reduce in quality over longer replay lengths."

EA development - focus on equality, ram still an issue aparantly.

Link

Tease.