By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I think Nintendo is afraid to reveal NX

Tagged games:

Here's my reasons why.

1. Power. When Nintendo was planning NX, the main competition was Xbox One and PS4. So they make NX into a modest system, thinking that the bar would be low. Instead, Sony announces Neo (now the PS4 Pro) and MS announces Project Scorpio. NX is dwarfed by both of them. Now 'kinda' in the range of Xbox One is being below the lowest bar. We also see why Reggie had that sad look on his face at E3.

2. Caught off guard by Sony and MS. Never before have iterations existed on this level. Pro is over double the power of the base PS4 and Scorpio looms over everything else. Nintendo and most of the gaming public didn't see this coming. How could they? It never happened before. NX would have been perfectly fine if MS and Sony followed the script.

3. Price. Nvidia is expensive. Even if they cut Nintendo a deal, Nvidia is always an expensive proposition. More than likely we're going to be seeing this machine come in around $299. $70 more expensive than the base Xbox One. As expensive as the Xbox One S with UHD bluray playback, or the PS4 Slim, which is still many times more powerful than NX, and comes with an established library of games.

The NX launch is supposed to be 5 months from now. I'm thinking that Nintendo is desperately trying to find a way to turn this into some positive, but I think they are afraid to reveal NX because when they show it, it will be widely known that what they are revealing is Wii U 2.0. Another gimmicky, underpowered mess that will be ignored by 3rd parties for the next 5 or 6 years.

So what do you think? Is Nintendo afraid to reveal NX? Do you think that there will be a massive blowout reveal this month? Maybe next month? Or maybe a delay until holiday 2017 to try and make things better?

Around the Network

There is only one reason to be afraid and that is Iwata had a huge say in the design of it before he died.

By the time he died it would have been too late to do major changes. So they basically releasing a product they probably were not all happy about to begin with,

If the reason of the late annoucment is the Ps4Pro reveal, then it would have been doomed even without the Ps4Pro.

Hiku said:

I don't think Pro or Scorpio is going to have an impact on Nintendo in that regard, because PS4/XB1 is still the industry standard for console games.

Besides, neither Microsoft nor Sony are going to drop their standard console over their upcoming upgraded systems.

Didnt foxconn said that they are already producing the NX? Doesn't that mean they cant change anything in terms of hardware?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

And like what Ubisoft said, it seems like Nintendo is focusing on getting the Smartphone gamers on their system than PS4 and Xone owners.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

RolStoppable said:
The only thing that Nintendo is afraid of is to repeat one of the big mistakes they made with the Wii U: Not showing off enough Nintendo games.

All of your reasons are plain stupid. If your assumption that Nintendo was going for symmetrical competition would be correct, then Nintendo would be doomed regardless of the system they made.

In the end a lot of people worry about too short of a timeframe between reveal and launch, but what good has it done for the Wii U to have such a long stretch between reveal and launch? It completely wrecked the system because for one, Nintendo didn't have enough games ready, and two, Sony and Microsoft had plenty of time to come up with ways to downplay Nintendo.

The gap between reveal and launch for Wii U gave them time to fix things that were issues. The Gamepad ended up with full analog sticks instead of slide pads. Its just that the Wii U concept in general was flawed, and no amount of time could have fixed it since it was flawed on a fundamental level.

To say they would not release a console with the difference in power between the X1 base model and the PS4 pro I mean... it's barely 2x the power of it, Look at last generation they had the Wii with it's overclocked version of the Gamecubes Gekko running at 729mhz along side the tri core 3.2ghz Xenon in the X360 or the Cell inside the PS3.

Nintendo were also not ashamed of the 88mb of ram which the wii had inside in it, nor were they ashamed of the 100m consoles they sold with this tiny amount of memory, I mean it has so little ram in it that it's possible the Ouya shifted more RAM in their tiny amount of sales than all of the Wii's sold (tough to get sales figures on Ouya!)

But yeah, Nintendo isn't about Teraflops, they're about games, good quality games > everything.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Highly doubt it. I don't think a 100+ year old, multibillion dollar company is scratching their head and sweating buckets about their product. They've been talking about it, other companies have been talking about it. They've spent years of R&D on it. NX development began literally the day the Wii U released. I could probably find the article that had Miyamoto and Iwata saying they're already thinking about the next product.

So they've had time to work it out. They've had time to develop NX in reaction to what they saw with Wii U. It's not the right time for them. Humiliated by Wii U's launch, I'm sure they're trying to make sure the same thing doesn't happen again. Almost all of Nintendo's muscles are being flexed on NX software, if the software isn't complete by the time NX is supposed to arrive, they're going to delay it. Nintendo not speaking about NX is mostly a software thing, I think than hardware.

Reggie, Iwata, all of them have made sure to say that Nintendo isn't pursuing graphical power for their next console. Anybody can do that. Any company can just pay AMD or Nvidia to make "more", as long as they're willing to pay"more" and that's not NIntendo's philosophy. They've always been about minimum input for maximum output. That's the essence of Wii and DS. Making great, simple, yet effective software on solid and purposeful hardware. Where Wii U went wrong was, the Gamepad wasn't purposeful, and the Wii U as a whole was too expensive.

I think NX is being kept a secret simply because Nintendo wants this thing to come out not only guns a blazing, but to have many more games down the horizon. Even to the point where a game by Tokyo NPD is out at launch, but Tokyo NPD is already in mid development on another title.

RolStoppable said:
bunchanumbers said:

The gap between reveal and launch for Wii U gave them time to fix things that were issues. The Gamepad ended up with full analog sticks instead of slide pads. Its just that the Wii U concept in general was flawed, and no amount of time could have fixed it since it was flawed on a fundamental level.

How is that response relevant to NX?

Going from reveal to launch in 4-5 months means there will be no time to fine tune things. Maybe people don't like the controller design. Instead of being able to redesign it they will have to use it at launch. Or lets say theres some sort of Mattrick style response to NX. Fans are in arms about it. Unless its software related, Nintendo won't be able to fix it in that small window.