By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Chart-Track(UK): 360 price drop increased sales 36% in week 11 over week 10

Xbox 360 UK sales leap 36%

Price drop gives hardware a healthy pre-Easter boost; PS3 sales rise six per cent in same period

Official UK industry monitor ChartTrack has told MCV that Xbox 360 sales have risen 36 per cent since last Friday – when the platform holder sliced the ERP of the console to as little as £159.99.

The rise came in a period where other hardware struggled – with only PS3 enjoying a slight sales rise of six per cent, as every other console on the market dipped. Software sales also dropped week-on-week across the gamut of platforms – including 360.

The 360 jump couldn’t match the whopping 260 per cent rise Microsoft enjoyed after cutting the consoles price for the first time in August, 2007 – when it introduced the Elite model onto the market.

“During week 11, Xbox 360 enjoyed a 36 per cent jump on week 10, which is a nice refreshing uplift for the console” ChartTrack director Dorian Bloch told MCV. “That was just for the Friday and Saturday after the price cut. Microsoft will be especially pleased to see that the overall hardware market was down – that’s every format except PS3, which saw a very slight six per cent rise.

“We need to wait two or three more weeks to see if the 360 sales surge will carry on. I would predict that it will increase again over the Easter period. It’s a bit of an odd year for the industry.

Easter is early, and doesn’t coincide with the end of Q1 – when publishers traditionally release very big games – like it usually does.

“Software sales dipped slightly on 360 despite the rise in hardware sales, but that’s no surprise: the week before saw the release of big titles such as Army Of Two and Bully. And with hardcore games like that, their natural audience like to get their hands on them in their first week.

“The 260 per cent rise Xbox 360 enjoyed in August last year coincided with the introduction of Elite and Bioshock coming onto the market, which obviously gave it a massive boost.”

Microsoft lowered the price of all three Xbox SKUs last Friday.

The estimated retail price (ERP) for its entry-level Arcade SKU dipped to €199.99/£159.99 – a drop of €80/£50.

The mid-price console, Xbox 360 Pro, which includes a 20GB hard drive and one wireless controller, was given a new ERP of €269.99/£199.99 – down from €349.99/£249.99.

And the 120GB Xbox 360 Elite, was priced at €369.99/£259.99 – a saving of €80/£40.

MCV

Around the Network

Wasn't posted in the Sales forum, but....

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=20870

it was in the Microsoft forum :)

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

You know when your product is doing bad when you have to drop the price to compete with similar ones!

It was only two days of week 11, but they were two of the busiest days. With just a 36% increase it doesn't seem like the pricedrop had a very big affect on sales, but maybe it will pick up with a full week behind it.

Chart-Track didn't mention if it outsold PS3 or not, last we heard PS3 was outselling 360 in UK, so I'm not sure 36% increase would be enough to overtake PS3 again, especially as PS3 also increased sales that week, albeit by only 6%.

Less of a boost than most expected for the UK I think, especially considering the free game bundles for the UK. (such a two free games with any model 360)

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29918/360-bundle-madness-grips-retail

Good to see PS3 sales still increased by 6% according to ChartTrack!

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

This article clears some things out. Rise isn't really big. It may grow a little more next week but I doubt it can challenge PS3 in Others.

pimpcoop said:
You know when your product is doing bad when you have to drop the price to compete with similar ones!

...so that means the PS3 is also doing bad too right, since they dropped the price to compete with similar ones!

Every system drops their price eventually, even the best selling console ever, the PS2 dropped price several times. The only system that hasn't dropped their price (yet) is the Wii. 

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

The impact in UK was quite small, and for the rest of Europe, almost neglectible. Here in Finland the price drop was hardly noticed in the shops. With UK already steadily moving from X360 to PS3 and the rest of the Europe already PS3-land, Europe is definitely looking like a lost cause for x360. Wii and PS3 will be the consoles of choice outside the US.

But then again, who in their right mind would buy a console that probably won't work for two years, and no HD disk playback. Halo or not.

Lost my faith in VGChartz. Too many stupid and ignorant Americans, even as moderators.

It's a shame, really. "The Boss" should do something radical about this Americanization, but it seems hardly feasible, so my days here are numbered.

It's unclear if the 360 beats the PS3 for the week, but Amazon.co.uk bestsellers ranking currently (may be a poor indicator, but still interesting):

2) Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Preorder (PS3)
3) Rainbow Six Vegas 2 Preorder (360)
6) Grand Theft Auto 4 Preorder (PS3)
10) Grand Theft Auto 4 Preorder (360)
13) Playstation 3 (40GB)
15) Rainbow Six Vegas 2 Preorder (PS3)
19) Call of Duty 4 (PS3)
28) Xbox 360 Console (Includes: 20GB hard drive, wireless controller, ethernet cable, HD AV cable and headset) £189.99
32) Call of Duty 4 (360)
33) Halo 3 (360)
47) Army of Two (360)
49) Formula One Championship Edition (PS3)
50) Burnout Paradise (PS3)
51) Assassin's Creed (PS3)
57) Sony PlayStation 3 Console (40GB) with Gran Turismo Prologue Preorder (PS3)
61) Grand Theft Auto IV: Special Edition (PS3)
63)Frontlines: Fuel of War (Special Edition) (Xbox 360)
64) Everybody's Golf World Tour Preorder (PS3)
66) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3)
69) Lego: Indiana Jones (PS3)
70) Xbox 360 Elite Console

All in stock or available for pre-order.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@MikeB

that just proves GT 5 Prologue is Looking like a HUGE seller right now..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey