By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - HDMI help needed. connection problem on big screen TV.

so ive bought two HDMI cables.
the newest monster one. 4ft ps3 and laptop works perfectly

and a

Monoprice 25ft cable 1.3a for wall installation ps3 works perfectly issues with laptop

my problem lies with the monoprice one, i bought it solely for my laptop
but its a hit or miss, mostly miss.
the tv and the laptop can see a connection but the display remains black.
sometimes my desktop shows up then a bunch of weird disruptions come up and i lose the image.
my laptop works perfectly on the monster cable, i dont see how this issues came up.
especially since its been said that HDMI cable cheap or expensive work the same way.
the monoprice cable works fine on my ps3.

any suggestions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Around the Network

The laptop is not providing a strong enough signal. Digital connections can't go fuzzy; as long as the signal is strong enough to decode, the picture will be crystal clear. Drop below that threshold though, and you break up the stream of data. You can't decode it without the missing pieces, so you either get junk on the screen or nothing at all.

Solution: Buy a shorter cable or a better quality 25 ft cable.

dang.. thanks, but 25ft is the right size for me....
guess ill just have to return the cable..

i thought low quality HDMI cables work fine as long as it doesnt go over 30ft.
well, thanks for the input, its much appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

They usually do work fine, it's just that laptops aren't the best signal sources. They're optimized for low power consumption to prolong battery life, so the signal isn't as good as one coming out of a set top box.

Have you tried with the laptop plugged into mains power? Some video cards scale back when running off battery, so this may boost its output power. No guarentees though.

Around the Network

actually, it is plugged. ='(

sorry wrong info.
tried plugging in the monoprice cable in the ps3 again and it doesnt work.
guess i got lucky last time i tried.

the cable seems to be defective.
question though.

are HDMI wires sensitive to bending? or does it need to be left straight?

They are exactly the same as the wires found in almost any standard wire cable. They should withstand the same abuse as any wire cable.

thanks, i guess i just got a defective one
oh and how about taking it in and out of the HDMI port?
since its on my laptop i have to pull it out and in a lot.
i heard cheap HDMI cables break easy if i do that .
any truth to that?

iclim4 said:
thanks, i guess i just got a defective one
oh and how about taking it in and out of the HDMI port?
since its on my laptop i have to pull it out and in a lot.
i heard cheap HDMI cables break easy if i do that .
any truth to that?

I don't know, but it doesn't sound logical.  As long as you're carefully inserting and removing the cable and not trying to jam it in there or rip it out at an angle, it should be fine.  I've actually seen some Monster cables (and this doesn't apply to HDMI cables, mostly just the composite and component cables) rip the ports right off the back of the TV, because they're designed to grab onto the port too tightly.  Cables should be a snug fit: easy to remove, but not easy to fall out on their own.