By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto Puzzled As To Why Anyone Would Want A New F-Zero

Tagged games:

Miyamoto Puzzled As To Why Anyone Would Want A New F-Zero

Posted Sat, 03 Nov 2012 | 23:45 GMT by Damien McFerran

"I thought people had grown weary of it"

If you ask any self-respecting Nintendo fan which series they'd like to see come out of hibernation, many will say F-Zero. Aside from the themed mini-game in the forthcoming Wii U launch title Nintendo Land, we haven't seen an F-Zero title since 2004's F-Zero: Climax on the Game Boy Advance - which never made it out of Japan.

In an interview with French site Game Kult, Miyamoto was asked why the series has been dormant for almost a decade. His response is surprising, to say the least.

Game Kult: After a quick survey on Twitter, one of the games French gamers miss the most is F Zero. Nobody really understands why Nintendo hasn’t made a new one since 2004. Is there a chance we can see it back on Wii U?

Miyamoto: [eyes open wide] I am really pleased to hear Twitter’s opinion, because since the first episode on SNES many games have been made but the series has evolved very little. I thought people had grown weary of it.

I’d like to say: Thank you very much and try to wait by playing Nintendo Land’s F-Zero mini-game.

I am also very curious and I’d like to ask those people: Why F-Zero? What do you want that we haven’t done before?

It would appear that Miyamoto feels the franchise is unable to offer anything new, which is something of a blow for all of the F-Zero fans out there who are eagerly awaiting a new instalment. Are you one of those fans? What's your opinion on Miyamoto's reply? Drop a comment to let us - and the world - know.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/miyamoto_puzzled_as_to_why_anyone_would_want_a_new_f_zero

Around the Network

F-Zero League

30 player online races
Create your own craft
Miiverse tournament leader boards. Once a week "league races"
Downloadable DLC tracks every 6-8 months
User created tracks and be swapped by friends, the best ones can be submitted to Nintendo and given away as free DLC.

Just make it Nintendo. It can be the last F-Zero you ever make really, because new tracks/improvements can be added through DLC.

Build a community of 250,000-500,000 owners, charge $5-$8 for a track pack, over the years you'll probably find the game is quite profitable.

Maybe he is pissed that the best Fzero game was made by a Sega studio...

Miyamoto does not read internet forums confirmed!!!

I'm conflicted by Miyamoto's response. I don't feel the same way about F-Zero that I do about Zelda or Metroid, but still I value the franchise (the SNES original is one of my all-time favorite games) and I sympathize with F-Zero fans who desperately want a new installment.

Yet I appreciate the philosophy behind Miyamoto's question: "Why F-Zero? What do you want that we haven’t done before?" You wouldn't find many developers willing to pass up producing a fan favorite because they felt it could offer nothing new or different. Many franchises would have ended years ago if that were the case.

Still, it could all be a red herring, since sales for F-Zero have been in decline since the original game.

Around the Network

Ok, let's do some internet-opinion-based psychology.

Miyamoto is a creator. He looks for new things, he's looking for evolution. In a way, FZero has always stick to its roots, and FZero Snes was mimicking 3D with Mode7. When the 3D FZero arrived (FZero X & GX, with GX a reboot of X), little was brought in term of gameplay, but the graphics overhaul (which was huge).

I think what Miyamoto does not get (to me), is that FZero fans want moar FZero because the game in itself is perfect already.

disolitude said:
Maybe he is pissed that the best Fzero game was made by a Sega studio..

I think you might be right that he's pissed, but not for the reason you mentioned.

Did you ever see this article: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20037961,00.html

This is from an interview with Miyamoto:

You've had great success in your ability to predict what players will find fun to play. Have there been games that you thought would be fun but didn't turn out that way?
Yes, that has definitely happened. In the past we've worked with some outside development houses on titles like F-Zero and Starfox — and let me just say that we were disappointed with the results. Consumers got very excited about the idea of those games, but the games themselves did not deliver...

Who knows if he means disappointing sales or disappointing game, but clearly Miyamoto was unhappy with the end result.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
disolitude said:
Maybe he is pissed that the best Fzero game was made by a Sega studio..

I think you might be right that he's pissed, but not for the reason you mentioned.

Did you ever see this article: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20037961,00.html

This is from an interview with Miyamoto:

You've had great success in your ability to predict what players will find fun to play. Have there been games that you thought would be fun but didn't turn out that way?
Yes, that has definitely happened. In the past we've worked with some outside development houses on titles like F-Zero and Starfox — and let me just say that we were disappointed with the results. Consumers got very excited about the idea of those games, but the games themselves did not deliver...

Who knows if he means disappointing sales or disappointing game, but clearly Miyamoto was unhappy with the end result.

Lol. Look at that...In that case I think he's going senile.Fzero gx was the best reviewed, funniest and most likely best selling Fzero ever made... Don't make me pull out the reviews Shigeru...

A new F-Zero would just be accused of being a Wipeout clone.

I don't think I ever beat the campaign for F-Zero GX....so freaking difficult.