By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - From Software for "going to multiplatform" was a good decision???

Tagged games:

From Software "going to multiplatform" was a good decision?

Yes 97 56.40%

No 61 35.47%

I don't know 14 8.14%

Total:172

Forget a little the gamer questions because I know the game going multiplatform is better for the consumer.

But about the From Software, the company itself.

Demon's Souls sold without any marketing: 1.64m

Dark Souls combined sold with some marketing: 1.67m

I thing From Software expected more sales from Dark Souls... way better sales than Demon's Souls... but that's not happened.

What do you think guys??? 

Around the Network

For the consumer this was a great decision but to answer the question, did From Software make a good decision going multi-platform with Dark Souls?

No. It was not a good decision, looking back at it. But at the time it was a potential great decision. Judging by the sales Dark Souls may have been best left on PS3 and claw its way up past Demon's Souls. The cost of porting for the extra system negates the 0.03m lead Dark Souls has over Demon's Souls if not more.

Now we can look at the long term effect this may have. Now you have a fan base on both systems. Will they have a sequel to Dark Souls? If so then this was a great decision in the long term. Take some short term losses for a bigger long term gain.

ethomaz said:

Forget a little the gamer questions because I know the game going multiplatform is better for the consumer.

But about the From Software, the company itself.

Demon's Souls sold without any marketing: 1.64m

Dark Souls combined sold with some marketing: 1.67m

I thing From Software expected more sales from Dark Souls... way better sales than Demon's Souls... but that's not happened.

What do you think guys??? 

Give it some more time. I bought Demons Souls last year for 15 bucks. I will buy Dark Souls when its cheaper to.  I never heard about either one in TV commercials or whatever.  All I hear is word of mouth stuff and people usually say   "do you know dark souls? its like demons souls"  So they usually name both games.

But its true that Dark Souls sales are a bit low.

But their crappy PS port damaged their reputation.

Wasn't it Namcos decision though? From Software published it in Japan and didn't bother with a 360 release. So Namco probably asked them to do it for the west

maybe you should compare the sales for the same time after release? because then it is 1.67 million for dark souls against 426k for demons's souls. dark souls for ps3 sold in 53 weeks what demon's souls sold in 121 weeks

and damn i wanted to vote for yes but voted for no lol

Around the Network

Dark Souls has sold much, much faster than Demons' Souls, not to mention sold more copies at higher price points. Moreover, with price drops, lifetime sales could pass 2 million.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Difficult to compare the two though. Demon souls was a first of its kind...and got quite a lot of hype from word of mouth. People wanted to play this awesome, overly hard and very unique game.

With Dark Souls the novelty has worn off...the type of game is more familiar now. And for a few people the game appears to be too similar to demon souls and wont go out and buy the game again.

I really don't think it would have mattered in the end.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

RolStoppable said:
I think there are many people like me who didn't buy Dark Souls because From Software betrayed Sony, so it was a bad decision.

That's a valid point too.

I didn't buy it yet... I have others games to play (now I'm playing Borderlands and Cross Edge) before spending 200+ hours in Dark Souls (I spent more in Demon's Souls).

Edit - I need to buy MGS HD, ZoE HD, ICO HD, etc... etc.. etc... I have a lot of priorities before Dark Souls

ethomaz said:
RolStoppable said:
I think there are many people like me who didn't buy Dark Souls because From Software betrayed Sony, so it was a bad decision.

That's a valid point too.

I didn't buy it yet... I have others games to play (now I'm playing Borderlands and Cross Edge) before spending 200+ hours in Dark Souls (I spent more in Demon's Souls).

oh gawd you fell for it.

Well since the 360 version sold half a million, and I doubt it took too many sales away from the PS3 version, I'd have to say yeah it was a good decision. I wouldn't expect Demon's Souls 2 to sell much better than the 1.1m that the PS3 version of Dark Souls got. Demon's Souls was a crazy cult hit that noone expected to do as well as it did, it'd be tough to repeat that level of success regardless of what they did with the series.