Quantcast
Neil Druckmann: The Last of Us Part II is 'Hitting the Limits' on PS4 - VGChartz
Neil Druckmann: The Last of Us Part II is 'Hitting the Limits' on PS4

Neil Druckmann: The Last of Us Part II is 'Hitting the Limits' on PS4 - News

The Last of Us Part II‘s creative director Neil Druckmann speaking with PlayStation Blog in an interview revealed The Last of Us Part II is reaching the limits of what the PlayStation 4 can do.

"Just as with The Last of Us, we were hitting the limits of memory, of computational power, how many enemies we could have on screen, and the size of levels," said Druckmann. "Now we’re able to have much wider environments, sequences with a horde of infected, several squads of enemies looking for you in big spaces.

"Likewise, Ellie has this whole new animation system called motion mapping. Not just Ellie, all the characters. It makes movement more responsive, but also more realistic at the same time. So I think Ellie is one of the best controlling and looking third-person action characters out there.

"The fidelity we can get in the faces and the motion capture — we can better translate what the actors are doing on stage into the game, and get these nuances so we can rely more on the way someone blinks or the way they squint instead of lines of dialogue. It allows the writing to be much more nuanced than it’s been before."

The Last of Us Part II will launch for the PlayStation 4 on February 21, 2020.

BraLoD (4 days ago)

Good ol' ND.

Radek (4 days ago)

They are hitting the limits of PS4 but the frame-rate according to Digital Foundry is rock solid 30, so a far cry from TLOU on PS3.

DonFerrari (4 days ago)

Well we haven't heard this throw around as much as last gen. But yes last year of being the main platform the games would be the best they can and using the HW as efficiently as manageable.

Radek (3 days ago)

I don't wanna be rude but I hope third party devs drop PS4 support very fast, so starting Fall 2021 it's already only PS5 only games, this generation was underpowered, especially CPU, we don't want to be held back!

Radek (3 days ago)

DonFerrari (3 days ago)

I don't think you have been rude.
Just said that considering those are to be the last AAA games of Sony in PS4 they should be the best use of the PS4 HW possible. And yes when a kid I didn't like when Genesis supported stopped because I was clueless (and didn't had money to buy consoles or new games anyway). But nowadays I prefer they all focus on PS5 games while I burn the backlog while waiting for the last 3 noteworthy games of the gen (besides Yakuza 7, Remake and FFVIIR)

Areaz32 (4 days ago)

The wording doesn't actually state that they are hitting the limits of PS4, just that they were hitting limits on the PS3 before on the amount of characters on screen and how big the levels can be.

Dante9 (3 days ago)

Well, I guess my Pro will provide some leeway then.