PS4 Shipments Reach 63.3 Million Units, 3.3 Million Shipped in Last Quarter - VGChartz
PS4 Shipments Reach 63.3 Million Units, 3.3 Million Shipped in Last Quarter

PS4 Shipments Reach 63.3 Million Units, 3.3 Million Shipped in Last Quarter - News

by William D'Angelo , posted on 01 August 2017 / 7,973 Views

Sony announced it has shipped 3.3 million PlayStation 4 units worldwide for the fiscal quarter ending June 30. That brings lifetime shipments to 63.3 million units. 

The figure is for units shipped to retailers and not sold to consumers. The last figure of units sold to consumers from Sony was 60.4 million units for June 11. That was announced during E3. 


Sony's Game & Network Services division saw revenue increase 5.4 percent year-over-year to ¥348.1 billion. The higher numbers was mainly due to strong sales of games on the PlayStation 4. Operating income for the division dropped from ¥26.3 billion to ¥17.7 billion.

Overall, Sony as a whole reported revenue increased 15.2 percent to to ¥1.8 trillion, while operation income jumped to to ¥157.6 billion.

A life-long and avid gamer, William D'Angelo was first introduced to VGChartz in 2007. After years of supporting the site, he was brought on in 2010 as a junior analyst, working his way up to lead analyst in 2012. He has expanded his involvement in the gaming community by producing content on his own YouTube channel and Twitch channel dedicated to gaming Let's Plays and tutorials. You can contact the author at wdangelo@vgchartz.com or on Twitter @TrunksWD.

More Articles


only777 (on 01 August 2017)

Nothing can stop this beast.

Ganoncrotch (on 01 August 2017)

So the PS4 is heading to beat both X360 and PS3 last gen... can it take out the Wii's 101m units before the end of the generation? Really great stuff from Sony this gen.

  • -16
CGI-Quality (on 01 August 2017)

Interesting question, Ganon. It won't have any trouble beating the Wii. Should sell between 120m and 130m.

  • +6
  • -10
Qwark (on 02 August 2017)

Yeah because companies like to discontinue consoles that sell 16-18 million units a year. Nit financiao suicide at all. Consoles aren't discontinued because of hardware advancements bur because of declining sales. This is a sales site for fuck sake out of all people this community should get that. Why else would the 3DS still sell and be in production. The next Playstation starts 2020 at the earliest.

  • +1
Ganoncrotch (on 03 August 2017)

I could easily see the ps4 supported for at least another 4 years with the games coming for it now there is no real need of a replacement system for the foreseeable future, sure the base model can't do 4k but as we've seen, 4k isn't mainstream enough yet to focus their main console at that 4k audience, heck the Wii was the best seller last gen... and that machine was fully rooted in SD resolutions for the whole 101 million sales of it.

  • 0
Ggordon (on 01 August 2017)

Can this beat the seventh gen consoles?

Qwark (on 02 August 2017)

Which one: PSP, PS3 and X360 defenitly, Wii: 10% chance if not happening. DS: 90% of not happening.

  • +1
KazumaKiryu (on 01 August 2017)

Another great News: For PS4 players and anime fans: Sony buys "Funimation" for 143 million !! = ) Its really true.

etertberteryerterb (on 01 August 2017)

4thepayers HAHAHHA

  • 0
KazumaKiryu (on 01 August 2017)

Amazing info! The most and the best Games 2017/2018 on PS4. Maybe more than 72 million PS4s (end of december 2017) are possible.

Qwark (on 01 August 2017)

Seems like the 75 million shipping mark by December the 31st is managable if Sony keeps 2.5 million units in the stores. So it could ship 78 million by March 2018. All in all impressive numbers. Perhaps 80 million by March 2018 is possible if Sony lowers the price of the PS4 and the pro during the holidays.